Since so many of you are curious about my suspension, here goes the tale...
It was winter of my senior year in high school (keep in mind I grew up in central Illinois, so it was very cold). There had been a recent incident at my school where a student had smuggled in a baseball bat in his coat and beat the crap out of another student. To ease people's minds the school decided that no coats, hats, scarves, etc could be worn once indoors. This poses a problem seeing as you are a frozen icicle after walking in from the parking lot. The last thing you want to do is remove your coat immediately and then walk to your locker.
Rebel that I am ;), I decided that below freezing weather meant that I would wear my coat and hat all the way to my locker. This meant a walk from the back of the school to the front. Not very far, but enough to take off the icy chill.
I have my coat off and am hanging it in my locker when I get a tap on my shoulder from the assistant principal saying, "excuse me senior girl...". This should indicate to you how little trouble I have ever been in because she didn't even know my name. "Can you please remove your stocking cap?". I said "OK" and rolled my eyes because I was freaking standing at my locker!! It was the next thing to go into my locker. No one liked this assistant principal because she was known for being petty and always looked like she feared the students.
Anyways, as she was walking away I shook my fist at her a-la Chandler Bing from friends. Well another teacher, we shall call him Brown Nose (BN) told the assistant principal that I had flipped her off. Which was not indeed the case. She huffs over there fuming and asks me if I flipped her off. I said no and my nearby friends vouched for this. BN insisted that he saw me do it. Well she is not one to be calmed so quickly. She said I would be receiving a week suspension and to meet her in her office.
I went down to the office. Scared out of my mind, I mean I didn't do anything and this lady was going to ruin my attendance. She is in all sorts of rage and tells me she will get the video tape and prove I flipped her off. She is trying to get me to confess that I did it, but I didn't. Not to mention that I knew there was no cameras in my locker area. She gets ready to dole out my punishment when duh du dah the other assistant principal comes out and wants to know what the deal is. She explains her story and he says she can't punish me because I am a senior.
Ah, yes I have left out an important bit. She only deals with freshmen and sophomores. The other assistant principal deals with juniors and seniors. Saved! Or so I thought. He calls me into his office and leaves me in there with the door closed while he goes and talks to her. He comes back and asks if I did it and I say no. He goes to find my discipline and attendance records (which in this day and age are on paper in a folder). He is very puzzled as they are both blank. He goes off to see if this is perhaps my second sheet. I finally convince him that I have indeed never been in trouble and have never missed a day of school.
He says she is too livid for me to let you off the hook. I say I didn't do anything wrong. He says I did since I was inside with my hat on. Alas, I must give up. He assigns me one day to internal suspension. This means I am put in a room with no windows, troublemakers and a strict lady who won't let you sleep. Fabulous.
To top it all off, my teachers didn't believe I was in the "pit" as they call it and all came down to see me themselves. They thought it was so ridiculous that they didn't even send me work to do. Gah! I was so bored. My architecture teacher had mercy on me though and signed me out to his classroom since there are no drafting tables in the "pit". It was all very ridiculous, but since it was internal and I was technically at school it didn't count against my attendance. YAY!

3 comments:
Ah yes, NOW I remember this story! :)
Silly high school. And they call it "The Pit?" That's too funny.
you know, I always was curious about in school suspension and sorta wanted to go, but was too scared to do what it took to get there. congrats for keeping the attendance streak alive while still being a rebel.
Post a Comment