The first of Several books is the Nestie Book Club February book, A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. I will say that this was an insightful look at life in Afghanistan over the last 30 or so years. It is eye opening to realize that this is a country that has been war torn for 30 years. The book follows the lives of two women who are a generation apart, but whose lives become very much entwined. These two women endure some very horrific acts that seem as though they must be from long ago, sadly they are not. It is very hard to grasp not being allowed to venture out without a man in our culture or to be completely covered up. This book was very insightful, heart wrenching, and well written. I would recommend it, but only if you know what you are getting into and have an uplifting book/movie waiting in the wings.
The next book off my recently read list is the Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. I picked this book up because Target was featuring it on an end cap and it looked like a good read. This was a good book in my opinion. It is about a single mom (Georgia) raising her daughter and running her own knitting store. The book takes many twists and turns as Georgia's life begins to unravel. Her friends and customers start having Friday night knitting get togethers at the shop and spill their darkest secrets and share their love of knitting. The book is funny and sad. I loved it because the group dynamic seems like so many ladies I know. Another plus is that it has knitting tips through out the book (I however can not knit beyond the first row).
The next book down was Manhunting by Jennifer Crusie. I only bought this book to have something to read during the 16+ hour journey in the car to my hometown for Christmas. This book is a good quick read if you are looking for a romance like novel. I swore I would never read romance novels because my mom does, whoops. It filled my time and was well written. I just wish I had actually read the cover before I randomly bought it, then I would have known that it was a romance novel...ugh.
The last two books are actually rereads. Since I didn't specify they had to be new reads I am going to count them! I read book 1 & 2 of the Harry Potter series over again. It is amazing, having read all 7 before, how many new things you catch starting over. Things that didn't seem to matter in the earlier books end up tying in to the last book. I think it is really cool going back and finding new things! I would highly recommend this series of books to anyone. I started out as a person who scoffed at the books and didn't start them until the fourth book came out. They are a great read and very well written. So much is left out in the movies.




0 comments:
Post a Comment